Have you ever wondered if logos got married and had kids? Devious thought, I know, but I put it to the test, just for fun. [This is continuation on a series of posts in my other blog, click here to see more]
In an imaginary world, if logos behaved like people where they’d collide, court, canoodle, and walk down the aisle and get married, here’s how I imagine their offspring to look like.
This illustration above may come across as a farce, but there is a perfect real-world justification about it. I’m talking about the dynamic and “take-no-prisoners” world of corporate mergers and acquisitions!
In the world of global business, mergers are as common as marriages. And just like with marriages, where “love is blind“, cross-border ties are just another reality, that is increasing becoming commonplace.
DaimlerChrysler is one case in point. The failed merge of US-based Chrysler and German-based Daimler (the proud name behind Mercedes Benz) clearly demonstrates that – just like marriages – some end in divorce. What at first seemed like a match made in heaven, turned out differently. After all, the US and German corporate cultures, habits and behaviors, were indeed different.
… in a so-called “Merger Of Equals” Daimler-Benz AG and the American automobile manufacturer Chrysler Corporation merged in 1998 in an exchange of shares… and formed DaimlerChrysler AG. [source: Wikipedia]
… The merger was contentious with investors launching lawsuits over whether the transaction was the ‘merger of equals’… Chrysler had suffered a series of setbacks in recent years, culminating in DaimlerChrysler’s agreement to sell the unit to Cerberus Capital Management in May 2007 for US$6 billion. [source: Wikipedia]
… In the middle of the past decade, the merger began to take a turn for the worse. Due to Daimler’s reluctance to allow Chrysler to continue development and use quality materials, Chrysler vehicles suffered lower fit and finish quality… Chrysler reported losses of US$1.5 billion in 2006. [source: Wikipedia]
On August 3, 2007, DaimlerChrysler completed the sale of Chrysler Group to Cerberus Capital Management. The original agreement stated that Cerberus would take an 80.1 percent stake in the new company, Chrysler Holding LLC. DaimlerChrysler changed its name to Daimler AG and retained the remaining 19.9% stake in the separated Chrysler. [source: Wikipedia]
The DaimlerChrysler sale in 2007 marked the end of the merger – a demerger – and both Daimler and Chrysler went their separate ways, operating as individual brands (I should say “House of Brands”).
Failed mergers end up being dissolved and each company goes its separate way, back to their respective maiden names.
But let’s just focus on what happens when companies merge. Plenty! Both the good and bad. Firstly there must be a mutual synergy that bring companies together. A natural fit, that produces a win-win solution, where merging companies become better and stronger. Size has a lot to do with this.
And aside from the corporate cultures that come together and essentially create a new corporate culture, we’ll just look at the visual side of mergers. And how a merger impacts company logos.
Which companies’ logo and corporate identity to use? This is important and is not a decision to be taken lightly, as logos and corporate identity represent brands that carry deep symbolic meanings in customers’ minds. So the question would be to decide on either to combine the two logos, or create an entirely new logo. The latter seems to be the preferred choice.
And of course the choice of “not doing anything” also prevails, where the companies continue operating under their existing brand logos, and only the ownership changes hands.
This makes for an interesting dichotomy, but an even more interesting visual journey of the world of logos and corporate identities.
Have you ever wondered if logos got married and had kids? Devious thought, I know, but I put it to the test, just for fun.
In an imaginary world, if logos behaved like people where they collide, court, canoodle, and walk down the aisle and get married, here’s how I imagine their offspring to look like.